Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] [UDEF]

Carl Mattocks wrote:

>I was thinking STEP ..
><quote who="David RR Webber">
>> Joe,
>>
>> Various industry coding schemes is one thing that
>> comes to mind - where rules are applied to come
>> up with product codes and classifications - healthcare,
>> aerospace, et al.  There's probably overlap with
>> STEP here somewhere too.

A coding/naming scheme seems a pretty good characterization of UDEF.  Given
that, STEP would not be a competitor.  STEP is about models for exchange of
product description data to support design and manufacturing (CAD, CAM, etc).
I don't believe that it provides or requires any coding schemes for naming
product classes.  However, PLIB is a related standard for part catalogs that
might include such a scheme.

I know of a couple of domain specific coding schemes with wide use:
the Open Technical Dictionary (based on US DoD and NATO codification systems)
and the codes for the MARC 21 metadata markup system used by libraries for
their collections. ECCMA mentioned that they were undertaking fast tracking
eOTD as a PLIB related PAS in ISO TC184/SC4 (home of STEP, PLIB, and PSL).

-Evan