Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] Groups - New Action Item #0000 Issue: Do we needto choose Ontology representation

ewallace@cme.nist.gov wrote:

>For me, the questions below don't restate the issue, they change it!
>

>Carl Mattocks wrote:
>

>>To restate the issue with (perhaps) easier questions.
>>
>>Does the ebXML Registry need to support all flavors of the OWL ontology ?
>>

>Agree that the question above is one component of the issue.  My answer
>to that question would be "yes."
>

>>Does the ebXML Registry need to explicitly (via technical notes ?) support
>>all 'Institutionally supported Ontologies' e.g. DCML, OWL
>>

>It would be helpful to have a more complete list of examples of what you mean
>here.  Not clear if you mean ontologies or ontology languages?
>

>>If the ebXML Registry supported 'All Ontologies that can be modeled using
>>RDF/S ' would that address all the known 'Use Cases' ?
>>

>RDFS doesn't support my use case.  Even supporting all dialects of OWL
>may be too limiting.  Some ontologies may be written in languages which
>support more expressivity than OWL.  Some such languages are the Knowledge
>Interchange Format (KIF) and Simple Common Logic (SCL).  One effort to
>formalize UBL is indeed using KIF.  An alternative approach to the
>expressivity problem might want to use a rule language to supplement an OWL
>ontology.  This last is, ostensibly, the Semantic Web approach.
>
>-Evan

The core issue in my mind is what is the right balance between:

a) What is stored in the registry as instance of new classes in  RIM to
represent subset of Ontolgys and knowledge bases, and...

b) What is stored in repository as repository items to represent entire
Ontolgys and knowledge base

And then still retain the ability to perform inference based on the details
of the ontology and knowledge base using some sort of a plugin mechanism
that allows inference in support of semantic query use case:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/5582/ontologySearch.html

using the Ontology specific plugin.

Here are some thoughts in progress..... Lots of missing details....

-Extend RIM to include key classes for representing only key Ontologys
types with minimal attributes: Ontology, Class, Thing

-Define XML Schema, rdb mapping for new classes

-Put entire Ontology as ExrinsicObject with Content Cataloging to map to
new RIM metadata classes.

-Define SOAP interface for a Inference service and spec for registering
it as a Service instance and
binding it to a specific Ontology instance

-Define spec on how semantic queries take advantage of pluggable
inference engines

--
Regards,
Farrukh