Subject: RE: [regrep-semantic] PR2: Explicit support for OWL Ontology/Class in place of ClassificationScheme / ClassificationNode

Title: Message

<Jeff> Is PR2 the appropriate context to ask questions regarding the (a) "type of OWL" and (b) "where the OWL interface lies?"  Or are these design questions that I can ask for clarity on later? </Jeff> I don’t know what to tell you.  The direction of this subcommittee seems to have changed.  Originally, it was suppose to address the issues surrounding the query and life cycle management of semantic objects. Now it has become about how best to support OWL Explicitly.  When I see terms like explicit, I think that the result will be hardwiring.  (a) The discussion have centered on the most popular forms of OWL which appear to be OWL DL. (b)  I think that this discussion is suppose to lead to modifications to the ebXML Registry which will eliminate the need for an OWL interface.

Zachary Alexander

The IT Investment Architect

ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325

http://www.ebTDesign.com | http://www.p2peconomy.com | http://www.itinvestmentvehicle.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey T. Pollock [mailto:jeff.pollock@networkinference.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 11:26 AM
To: 'Farrukh Najmi'; 'Zachary Alexander'
Cc: 'Registry TC - SCM SC'

Farrukh-

Is PR2 the appropriate context to ask questions regarding the (a) "type of OWL" and (b) "where the OWL interface lies?"  Or are these design questions that I can ask for clarity on later?

Specifically:

(a) discussion of the tradeoffs and consequences between OWL-F and OWL-DL

(b) if the regrep gets queried as usual (and returns an OWL ontology as a 'blob') or if there are extensions to allow a reasoner to interface the regrep directly (allowing inferencing against the regrep APIs).

Thanks for your guidance and clarification.

-Jeff-