Subject: RE: [regrep-semantic] PR2: Explicit support for OWL Ontology/Class in place of ClassificationScheme / ClassificationNode

<Farrukh from Charter>"The SCMSC will identify specific Semantic Web
technologies (e.g. RDF, OWL) that are necessary to support the
requirements identified for semantic content management." </Farrukh from
Charter> I think that RDF and OWL are knowledge representations. I think
that knowledge representations are payloads. I would classify
technologies as things like classifiers, and inference engines. I think
of semantic supporting technologies as generic not OWL specific.

Zachary Alexander
The IT Investment Architect
ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
http://www.ebTDesign.com | http://www.p2peconomy.com |
http://www.itinvestmentvehicle.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:14 PM
To: Zachary Alexander
Cc: 'Registry TC - SCM SC'
Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] PR2: Explicit support for OWL
Ontology/Class in place of ClassificationScheme / ClassificationNode

Zachary Alexander wrote:

> <Jeff> Is PR2 the appropriate context to ask questions regarding the
> (a) "type of OWL" and (b) "where the OWL interface lies?" Or are these

> design questions that I can ask for clarity on later? </Jeff> I don't
> know what to tell you. The direction of this subcommittee seems to
> have changed. Originally, it was suppose to address the issues
> surrounding the query and life cycle management of semantic objects.
> Now it has become about how best to support OWL Explicitly. When I see

> terms like explicit, I think that the result will be hardwiring. (a)
> The discussion have centered on the most popular forms of OWL which
> appear to be OWL DL. (b) I think that this discussion is suppose to
> lead to modifications to the ebXML Registry which will eliminate the
> need for an OWL interface.

Our charter is posted at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep-semantic/description
.php

Part of the charter I quote below:

"
The SCMSC will identify specific Semantic Web technologies (e.g. RDF,
OWL) that are necessary to support the requirements identified for
semantic content management.
"

I believe PR2 is very much within the spirit of the original charter.
Please recall that the "P" in "PR" is for "Proposed".
We are brainstorming on requirements.

Please understand that I do not have any hidden agendas here.
I do not have an OWL implementation or product I am looking to peddle. I

am just doing the best I can to keep
ideas and discussion flowing within the SC.

--
Regards,
Farrukh

> Zachary Alexander