Subject: Fw: Global identifiers

Team,

This came up on the XML/edi list.

I believe this is a separate use case - the noun one we have
right now just deals with element semantics.

Codelists is one of those perennial bugaboos - but notice
that 50% of content in a traditional business transaction
is actually carried in code values - and as can be seen from
the currency code example - there are descreet needs
in the use case around versioning and subsetting.

I believe we have the tools to put this together - but as
ever its a question of defining the actual mechanics of
doing this in a consistent way using those tools.

And as the message below shows - we have some
nice interest in this already - and potential pilot
projects we can work on.

Notice the USGov XMLWG already has one
proposal for handling codelists using schema.  That
was heavily dependent on XSD techniques though -
so I'm thinking something combining OWL and simple
XML is potentially more elegant and flexible...

Thoughts?

Thanks, DW

p.s. Ed - how about submitting a use case for us - and
      someone from GoC joining the SC work - don't
      worry about the work involved - Ottawa are not
      going to win the Stanley Cup this year anyway, eh?!?