Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] Blurb about SCM Work (For Interview)

Dear Colleagues,

First of all, many thanks for providing me the opportunity
to share some of the work we do.

As a follow up to Jeff's email, allow me to present some
clarification to the issues that I have discussed:

1. Ontologies can be taken advantage of both through
reasoning and through querying. For ebXML registries, the
querying facilities are available and we used them.
When reasoners with good performances are available;
we will be more than happy to use them. It is a generally
accepted fact that the performance of rule based systems
degrade considerably when there are many rules. To the
best of my knowledge to reason about an ontology;
rules are created from the constructs of the ontology.
However it seems Network Inference has the tools for this purpose,
if they wish we may become their trial site.

2. OWL-S presents
i. Service  Profile: this is an upper ontology applicable to all
services. We need domain specific ontologies to complement this.
ii. Service Modelling: OWL-S consortium complains that BPEL4WS
proceeds without considering this work.
iii. Service Grounding: Currently accepted service grounding
standard is WSDL.

3. I agree with Jeff that with ontologies we should aim
the "Semantic Web" vision of Tim Berners Lee.

Best regards,

Asuman

> Farrukh, et al.
>
> This has been a fascinating thread to follow. Over the course of the
> past couple weeks I have been consciously disengaging to this group
> because of what I perceived as a soft commitment to OWL and, more
> importantly, a soft commitment to actual 'semantic capabilities' -
> beyond simply storing ontology and defining mappings to RIM concepts.
>
> However, if this group's statements (albeit, some have been removed)
> during this thread about a commitment towards (1) data harmonization,
> (2) semantic web server of the future, (3) precise content discovery,
> and (4) semantic web services are indeed the intention for the SCM group
> - then I have misunderstood the direction thus far.
>
> It seems to me that the charter is loose in regard to the visionary
> statements made on this thread and that internal fractures to SCM have
> misdirected the effort away from the vision I am hearing folks describe
> today.
>
> Recently, with this group's statements, and with the compelling work
> presented by professor Dogac on Tuesday, I am inclined to offer a few
> thoughts about Network Inference's position with respect to this RegRep
> SCM work.
>
> First, I want to state the obvious ... Network Inference is a technology
> vendor that is highly committed to the widespread use and adoption of
> all OWL, and in particular OWL-DL.  With regard to our participation
> here, we do not wish to be perceived as too vendor-centric with our
> thoughts, instead we want to be supportive and share ideas about our
> vision and implementation of OWL-based semantic tools.
>
> Second, our position is that we strongly favor a tight binding between
> OWL and the RegRep RIM interfaces.  This position is clearly influenced
> by my first point, but most importantly, we favor this tight binding
> because we feel that it will enable a new generation of tools to
> directly interact with a regrep implementation to provide valuable
> semantic capabilities (inference, mediation, dynamic workflow, etc.)
> without requiring kludgy/lossy adaptors to move between ontological
> representations.  This pluggability of semantic tools is crucial, in our
> opinion, to making the regrep relevant for next-gen Semantic Web
> Services capabilities.
>
> Third, our expertise and early customer implementations with OWL should
> be valuable, to this SCM group, but in a 'tightly-bound OWL/regrep'
> scenario.  We have built Xquery and WSDL/SOAP interfaces to an OWL/RDF
> inference engine that allows users to merge, inference across, and query
> instances or classifications within inferred and told OWL/RDF models.
> Without getting into implementation specifics (Abox,Tbox,performance
> metrics etc.) about the inference engine - it should be apparent that
> our interfaces (Xquery and OWL manipulation) could have some relevance
> to this SCM effort. As we drill into certain use cases this could become
> [...]

Professor Asuman Dogac                  Internet: asuman@srdc.metu.edu.tr
Director                                Phone: +90 (312) 210 5598, or
Software R&D Center                            +90 (312) 210 2076
Department of Computer Eng.             Fax:   +90 (312) 210 1259
Middle East Technical University       WWW: http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/~asuman/
06531 Ankara Turkey