Subject: [protege-owl] Re: Web services for serving ontology subgraphs (was reading NCI thesaurus from a database)

Hello,

We are just starting a project to provide a Web Services interface to a
large OWL ontology over the next few months. We will define a set of
services such as mentioned here. We would be happy to hear of experiences in
this area. At the moment, we are starting along the lines of simple things
such as:

- Given a string, get all class names containing that string

- Given a class by name, get immediate subclasses

- Given a class by name, get non-annotation properties where the class is
the domain

- Given a class by name, get non-annotation properties where the class is
the range

- Given a class by name, get annotation properties

- Given a string, get all property names containing that string

- Given a property by name, get its domain and range

These are mainly to present the class hierarchy to an application that will
relate its data to the ontology so the services are read-only. Once the
simple ones are set, then we plan on building more complex services. There
may also be follow-on projects supporting OWL ontology development as a Web
Service. We're not sure yet.

Cheers,
David