Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] ebXML Registry Profile for OWL

Farrukh wrote:

>From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profile
>
>  In standardization, a profile consists of an agreed-upon subset and
>  interpretation of a specification. ...

This is indeed *one* use of the word "profile" in some standards efforts.
I was once an OSI person (long ago, but not at all far away), so I am
familiar with this use.

However, your definition

>My definition is that a profile is: "a normative specification that defines
>a standard way to extend or restrict a base specification that is the
>target of the profile."

isn't consistent with the OSI use because it allows a profile to
extend rather than merely subset a spec. I think I see where this comes
from though: ebRIM has its own extensibility mechanism, and I believe
you wish to document a particular usage of that (for OWL) in the work you
have proposed.  Is that correct?

>>The other question I have is about the UML that describes the language
>>supported by the profile (at least such a thing was in the Web Services
>>profile provided as an example).
>
>What are you refering to here. Can you be more specific please.
>
>>  This is essentially creating a metamodel
>>  of the target language depicted in UML.

I can be more specific.  Illustration 1:WSDL Information Model from the
WSDL profile is an example of what I mean.  If a similar model were
included in the OWL profile, I would want it to be consistent with the
metamodel for OWL in chapter 12 of the Ontology Definition Metamodel
(see http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ad/05-09-08.pdf).