Subject: Reinitializing the Regrep TC

Dear Members of the Regrep TC:

As some of you may know, OASIS is in the process of introducing new
process rules for technical work. This activity, conducted through
the Process Advisory Committee, has determined that all existing TCs
in OASIS must be reinitialized in order to comply with the OASIS Bylaws.

This circumstance arises because the Bylaws specify the use of
Robert's Rules of Order.  Robert's requires that committees be
appointed by name, and we haven't done that.

Furthermore, COMMITTEES CANNOT MEET AND CONDUCT BUSINESS WITHOUT A
QUORUM OF VOTING MEMBERS, so it is essential that committee members
be willing and able to attend our meetings; as explained below, we are
now distinguishing between voting and nonvoting members - and we're
asking you to decide which you want to be.

This message is intended to start this activity in the Regrep TC.
The process is simple.  Each of you should read the following
text, and act accordingly by sending *me* (not the list) an
e-mail message or not.

      REINITIALIZING THE REGREP TC

      In order to ensure a sound OASIS technical committee process
      in accordance with the OASIS bylaws, the OASIS Board of
      Directors has created an Advisory Committee on Technical
      Committees.  Consisting of the chairs of the TCs, the ACTC
      is empowered to create OASIS technical committees through
      formal appointment of members.

      However, the appointment of specific members with voting
      rights in each TC has the procedural implication that a
      majority of those members must be present in meetings and
      phone conferences for a TC to conduct formal business, and a
      majority of the appointed members is required for decisions
      made by mail vote.  Thus, it is necessary to distinguish
      between the participants in each TC who can actually commit
      to attending meetings and phone conferences and members who
      wish only to track the progress of the TC and participate in
      mail discussions.  For this procedural reason, only OASIS
      members who can actually attend meetings can be appointed
      voting members of a TC.

      Please note that this formal distinction does not change the
      current composition of this mail list.  The primary
      difference is that a subset of this list will now be able to
      pass formal resolutions on behalf of the group in accordance
      with the OASIS Bylaws.

      In order to be considered for designation as a voting member
      of this TC, you must read the following description of
      our estimated schedule and deliverables and then decide
      whether to respond with a request to be appointed formally.
      Please have your response, if any, back to me by Feb 14, 2000.  I
      will submit a list of nominees to the ACTC shortly
      thereafter.

         Terry Allen
         Commerce One
         tallen@sonic.net

      CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: OASIS REGREP TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

The OASIS Regrep Technical Committee exists for the purpose
of to develop one or more specifications for interoperable
registries and repositories for SGML- and XML-related entities,
including but not limited to DTDs and schemas. XML.org, an
initiative of OASIS, intends to construct and maintain a registry
and repository in accordance with these specifications, including
an interface that enables searching and browsing of the contents
of a repository of those entities. The registry and repository are
to be designed to interoperate and cooperate with other similar
registries and repositories.

      Terry Allen is the chairman of the TC.

      Over the next year, the TC is expected to meet at
      XTech, San Jose, 2 or 3 March; XML '00, Paris, 8-9 June;
      XML '00, Washington, D.C., during or before or after
      3-7 December.  No meeting is expected to exceed two
      full days.  The TC also meets regularly in telephone
      conference calls.

      Upon reinitialization, the TC will consist of a set of
      voting members and a set of nonvoting observers.  The
      voting members will be those who have been appointed by the
      ACTC from among persons nominating themselves in response to
      this call.

      Note that voting members must be able to promise
      attendance at meetings in order to meet quorum requirements.
      Therefore, OASIS members wishing to track and comment upon
      the work of the TC in the mailing list but not to attend its
      meetings regularly should simply remain on this mailing list
      but not apply for voting membership.

      Members of this list willing to commit to voting
      participation in the OASIS Regrep Technical Committee are
      hereby requested to respond to this message no later than
      February 14, 2000 with the following statement:

         I agree with the purpose of the Regrep TC as stated
         above.

         I understand that OASIS technical committees regularly
         meet in person or by phone and that participation in the
         Regrep TC will require me to attend most of its meetings.
         Based on the estimated meeting schedule given above, I
         certify that I have the means and the interest to attend
         such meetings and that I intend to do so.

         I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
         absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot without
         the active participation of its members and that
         therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
         ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
         promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair or
         chairs of the committee if in the future I find myself
         unable to participate actively in its work.

         [name]
         [affiliation]
         [email address]
         [phone number]

Thanks.

Please don't forget that the deadline is February 14, 2000

regards, Terry Allen