Subject: Re: Something of interest and possible conflict

Hi Jamie.  See:

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/uddi.html

You're probably correct about overlap, but I don't think it's
something worth getting "concerned" about.  From my vantage point
-- and one that could be very discouraging if I let it -- this
happens several times a week.  Visionaries all have distinct
ideas about how to carry out the vision; people who are most
motivated by money will create competition because they want
money in their pocket more than they want global interoperability.
This is probably the norm, even though self-delusion prevents
many from seeing the conflict in their so-noble agendas.

So I say:

Competitive agendas are inevitable, and the phrase itself (may) imply a
notion of pissing on the shrubs to try to stake out territory.
That's for canines. OASIS (regrep) has no prior claim on anything.
Competition happens. Sometimes I don't like it (I won't "stoop" to tactics
used by some to garner mindshare, even though I know that sensationalist
headlines, provocative pedantry and dilettantism attracts the itching
ears and eyeballs of the masses), but that's how the world works.
What sells on (M)TV.

It's hard to know at this juncture whether SOAP or UDDI will even
be recognizable terms in 24 months -- so fast is the world changing.
Regrep should not be distracted by anything, though it may learn from
everything.

My 2 cents.

-rc