Subject: RE: browsing vs. searching and access rights

Duane,

I think you are right that we need to use the XML structure when using
search.  Perhaps we need to add a statement (or a few words) to that effect.

I also think that we need to specify the browse as there may be ways for
categorization to be set up with directories.  For example, a directory
structure could be specified by the group that is maintaining the
registry/repository and the submitter makes some sorts of choices where they
would put their contribution into the structure.  Or some of the new tools
out there could make a first cut with a human taking second cut.  Like you
say, browsing is very useful for a human search -- particularly when they
don't know exactly what they are looking for.

Megan

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:duane@xmlglobal.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 12:36 PM
To: Megan R. MacMillan
Cc: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Megan:

Your definitions of browsing and searching are quite correct.  The onus
will be on RegRep to provide the latter as the approach for locating
information within an ebXML compliant Registry/ Repository becuase
browsing cannot be accurately done automatically by an application.
Searching in a contextual manner is the only acceptable access method
for an application. IN other words,  you cannot just say find me "foo"
becuase "foo" may appear in one or more contexts within the registry
index.  It wouldhave to be "foo" within the context of "GUID".

For a human search interface, the browsing is very useful because it
allows a classification scheme to be used to guide the user to the
correct information.

Duane Nickull
XML Global