Subject: RE: Positioning with UDDI (was RE: Tactical Proposal: Split V2 wo rk items into V2 and V3 (repost))

reply:

I'd like to highlight the thoughts made by both Scott and Dan earlier in the
thread.  The original note floated by Sun/IBM bridging ebXML Reg/Rep and
UDDI was intended to be a starting point.  Dan's suggestions that we should
look to define ebXML Reg/Rep and UDDI common vs. distinct use cases for
interoperability have merit.  I'd like to additionally submit a possible
concept of the Oasis Registry TC accepting UDDI as its "Registry" allowing
the Oasis Registry TC to complete its definition of the Repository
functionality and specification.

My point in bringing up the idea this way is to highlight that we probably
need to establish a separate sub-team, we should brainstorm various
interoperability alternatives, and do real work on this.

Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber [mailto:Gnosis_@compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 1:56 PM
To: Lisa Carnahan
Cc: Scott Hinkelman; regrep@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: Positioning with UDDI (was RE: Tactical Proposal: Split V2
work i tems into V2 and V3 (repost))

Message text written by Lisa Carnahan
>My thought is that
it is beyond the scope of our TC to define TModels for CPPs, BPs and the
like.  These should be defined by the appropriate ebXML committee (i.e.,
the Big UN/CEFACT committee...(the name escapes me)).   What our
TC  discussed on our conference call was to limit our TModel definitions to

only those that would help ebXML Registries be found and defined in a
consistent manner.<

Lisa,

That seems to me to be probably the last we see of it!

Not wanting to rain on the UDDI parade - I would offer -
that since we have the TModel expertise - (a fact that will probably
not go un-noticed when we try and punt to these other groups...)

we should instead do drafts here of what we see these all should
be - and then submit them to these other guys to pour holy-water on them.

Not to mention that we can probably make a good case for setting
TModels guidelines with registry for content as a task in our domain.

Just trying to push the peanut a little more effectively!  I know - I
really
don;t want to do the TModels either - but the thought of it disappearing
off - to reappear sometime later - and then not aligned to our thinking -
worries me more than the comparitively small amount of work to
get us a sound base here...

Thanks, DW.