Subject: Re: [regrep] non-disclosure agreement in Sun

David RR Webber - XMLGlobal wrote:

> Message text written by "William J. Kammerer"
> > This doesn't make them "good" by any means, but to lump
> them in with Iraq, Sudan, and Libya does seems to be incongruous and not
> nice.
>
> William J. Kammerer
> Novannet, LLC.<
>

> One does wonder about the criteria here.  I presume its the proximity
> of unsavour Mafic types et al that is casting a shadow.
>
> You know it occurs that if this was an ebXML / CEFACT meeting we
> would not be allowed to go with such restrictions imposed.
>
> OASIS of course has different rules.
>
> While the resource is nice - I'm just wondering if we can move
> past this onerous gotcha?
>
> Who in Sun needs to 'undo' this policy for OASIS and
> similar meetings on Sun premises?
>
> Come to think of it - has Sun hosted a W3C F2F - and if so -
> what happened then?

Yes, Sun has hosted many W3C F2Fs. These export restrictions obviously do not apply
to these kinds of meetings; they apply to customers or partners who visit our facilities
and leave with materials that might fall under what used to be tight export controls
imposed by the US government (and this, if I'm not mistaken, used to include even
briefings related to some computer technologies, not just products).

In W3C meetings my experience has been that about 70% of the people sign without
reading, because they are used to them (some companies whose name I will refrain
from mentioning were more draconian - I could not attend a meeting in 1989 or 1990 because
I was not a US citizen then) and know they are quite meaningless, inasmuch as you
won't have an opportunity to learn anything related to Sun activities at the meeting;
about 20% of the people try to read to see what's it all about and then sign; a residual
10% refuse to sign on principle, or because they don't feel they are authorized by
their companies to sign NDA agreements, or because they feel like giving us a hard
time ;-)  When that happens, the Sun person who is hosting the meeting signs for you
and everybody's happy.

Eduardo