Subject: RE: [regrep] Pre-defined Association Types: Issues and Proposal

be able to read it.

Nicholas

-----Original Message-----
From: Len Gallagher [mailto:LGallagher@nist.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 2:50 PM
To: OASIS ebXML Registry

Kathryn,

I understand your requirement, but I think it is best satisfied by
something other than holding two Association instances for one piece of
information. Suppose (A SupersededBy B) is an association instance. This
instance is metadata for both A and B. We don't need a superflous (B
Supersedes A).

With new methods proposed for RegistryEntry in a recent proposal to this
list

     cf   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200110/pdf00003.pdf

I can use A.getTargetRegistryEntries(SupersededBy) to get the collection of
B's that supersede A, and I can use
B.getSourceRegistryEntries(SupersededBy) to get the collection of A's that
are superseded by B. So, in your example, xyz can use either of these
methods to "immediately" answer whichever question is most relevant, i.e.
things that supersede "xyz" or things that "xyz" supersedes.

I think having two separate methods is what makes this functionality
obvious in the specs. If we need to emphasize this functionality even more,
then we can add an example to show how both types of questions can be
answered in a straight-forward way.

-- Len