Subject: [regrep] Re: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

Message text written by Duane Nickull
>Nita:

"Meaningful" is not a requirement for the UID.  The UID is to be
interpretted by applications.  We have other  ways to convey
semantically meaningful element identifiers such as the Element names in
XML.  The only requirement for a UUID is that is is globally, uniquely
identifiable.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I believe there is confusing creeping in here again.

The UUID that the Registry spec's references is the mechanism
that Microsoft uses to calculate registry keys in Windows 95/98/2000 and
NT.

If you search the Microsoft web site you will find this reference.  The
mechanism is an algorithm based on some ISO standard.  It creates
a random 128 byte string that is guaranteed to be unique.

Clearly 128 byte random strings are NOT verifiable by humans.

If I tell you I am using WERTRET-4523-RYJYJRYK-32436-GJDJFJDFJDFHDF
instead of WERTRYYE-3245-SDGDG-123-SDFGSDGSFDHH in my
purchase order - you have no way of knowing if this is good or bad.

However - if I tell you I'm using element OAG090101 instead of OAG090200
then
this is something you can verify.

The Registry allows for the use of an EXTERNAL ID - to identify items - and
this is where you can store the UID value (alpha uppercase prefix, six
digit numeric)
to provide a human processable key value.

These UID values can be arbitarily allocated - i.e start from 001000 and
number
sequentially - or may re-use existing numbering - such as X12 or EDIFACT
element numbers - i.e. X12EDI000201  or a system such as UDEF labels.

Recap' on this - UUID - internal foriegn key value for use within Registry
systems.

UID - external key value system for use with ebXML to uniquely identify
content
artifact - examples - CPP, CPA, BPSS, CCR, and so on.

Thanks, DW.