Subject: [regrep] Re: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

This is a very good discussion.

A few points regarding Federation capability and Registry specs follow:

1. Federation capability is not currently defined (normative or otherwise) in the
V2.0 specs.

2. Defining a normative Federation capability has been part of our phased delivery
matrix (planned work items) since mid 1999.

3. Adding Federation capability as a normative part of the specs is one of the
proposed work items for
the V3.0 specification.

Some thoughts on the UUID etc debate are:

-We have a normative UUID capability where UUIDs are globally unique and
independent from any federated  capability and not meant to be human readable.

-We have a normative external id capability where ExternalIdentifiers are
potentially human readable

-We do not currently have a normative way to assign URNs to a RegistryObject
(other than urn:uuid...). This has been discussed in the past.

-We could easily add a normative way to assign URNs to a RegistryObject using the
existing ExternalIdentifier mechanism in a stylized way. For example we could
define that any ExternalId using the scheme URN is a URN. This would be a low cost
/ high value feature addition and makes sense for us to pursue in V3.

To summarize, there are many way to identify and annotate a RegistryObject. Each
way has its unique value, purpose and constraints:

-UUID for assigning machine readable globally unique keys. Not human readable.

-ExternalId for assigning more meaningful names based on well known naming schemes
like DUNS

-URN for assigning unique names that are human readable. These names require a
registering with IANA for the root name space (e.g. oasis)

The Federated registry capability should allow the above mechanisms to work across
registries in a usable manner. This is an obvious design goal for that work item.