Subject: [regrep] FW: [chairs] need IP statements on OASIS TC web pages

Team,
Please review the note below from Karl carefully. Please determine if there
are any IP encumbrances (patents, trademarks, etc) associated with your
contributions to the Registry TC work.  If you identify any, please send me
statements granting licensing for any encumbrances and I will have them
posted to the web site.  Please look at some of the other TC pages for
examples of these statements.

Kathryn

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl F. Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 8:10 AM
To: chairs
Cc: Karl
Subject: [chairs] need IP statements on OASIS TC web pages

OASIS TC chairs and vice-chairs:

As you probably noticed we had a bit of controvery last week over IP
related to OASIS TC work. In that context I'm sure that you'll agree
that we need better identification of the IP related to the technical
work that our TCs are pursuing.

The OASIS IPR Policy states that at the time contributions are made to
OASIS the contributor must disclose any IP encumbrances (patents,
trademarks, etc.) associated with that contribution, and promise (at
least) RAND licensing for any encumbrances. Furthermore, at the time the
specification is completed and advanced to OASIS members these
encumbrances must be identified to members so that they can make a
decision, having full knowledge, regarding approval of the spec.

In order to achieve full disclosure so that TC members and other OASIS
members may work with full knowledge, it is very important that all IP
encumbrances associated with the technical work of your TC be
identified. Please obtain statements from known contributors, and also
query your TC members to find out what other encumbrances they may know
about. As you obtain IP statements these should be placed on your TC web
page in a section called "Intellectual Property Rights". (See the XACML,
XCBF, CPPA, and SAML TC web pages for examples.)

I cannot stress enough how important this is. If IP encrumbrances are
not identified the future of your work could be placed in doubt, as we
saw last week.

The following are contributions of which I am aware; I suspect that
there are more. At a minimum we need statements for these contributions.
Please make this a priority over the coming weeks.

BTP TC: contributions from BEA, Choreology, HP
CIQ TC: contributions from MasterSoft, AND
DSML TC: contributions of DSML v1 from Access360, iPlanet,
     Microsoft, Novell, Verisign
Election TC: contributions from election.com?
HumanMarkup TC: contributions from humanmarkup.org?
XLIFF TC: contributions of XLIFF v1 from Novell, Oracle, etc.
Provisioning TC: contributions of ITML, XRPM, ADpr
Rights TC: contributions of XRML from ContentGuard
RELAX NG TC: contributions of TREX, RELAX
SAML TC: contributions of AuthML, S2ML
UBL TC: contributions of xCBL from CommerceOne
WSIA, WSRP TC: contributions of WSXL, WSUI from IBM
XSLT Conf TC: contributions of test suites

</karl>