Subject: RE: [regrep] BIEs re-visited.

Now I am a little confused.  It may be just semantics but Duane just stated
that a BIE is a child of a Core Component and, in the origin of this thread,
David said that a BIE is a re-usable collection of core components with
optionally associated passive context.  Which is it?
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:duane@xmlglobal.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 9:41 AM
To: David RR Webber - XMLGlobal
Cc: Lisa Carnahan; OASIS Registry List

I am glad that you all are talking about this topic.

1. One thing that would be nice for Design Time is for a Business
Collaboration Designer (new title??) to be able to query the Registry
for a list of BIE's that are children of a single Core Component AND are
subject to a single or set of context rules.  Becuase the list is
possibly very large,  it may be nice to have an ability to set
parameters for the query results:

eg. - return only 10 results at a time and only return the URI of each
BIE.  Also - what is the sort order????  hmmm????

2. This should be a function of the Registry itself via "associations".

Agreeably,  a BIE should also know what Core Component is its' parent.
I would argue that this should be in the BIE itself, not only the RIM so
the BIE still contains that information once it is used outside the
Registry.

3.  In cases where their are several Registries whose content is not
synced,  how will a user get a list of all BIE's made from a specific
Core Component?  Can result sets be merged?  There may be an onus on the
Principle Registry of the Core Component to keep track of all of this
via its' associations mechanism.

Just some thoughts (probably to keep some of you up an night  ;-)

D-

David RR Webber - XMLGlobal wrote:

> Message text written by Lisa Carnahan
> >
> David and All,
>
> The work of the CC-review subteam is to do what you suggest below; that
is,

> determine how CCs, BIEs and such can be registered/stored/queried in an
> ebXML registry.  Our approach is to look at the RIM/Services capabilities
> in RegV2 as well as look to making enhancements for RegV3 that would
better

> support CC/BIE (and such) usage.    The CC-review team is in contact with
> various CC folks; asking questions, raising issues, etc.
>
> --lisa<
>

> Lisa,
>
> Understood.  I'd previously made a statement on BIEs to the CC-review
> team that was not accurate given the new information on BIEs.
> So I wanted to make sure that I corrrected that.
>
> Admittedly this came a little bit out of left field ; -)
>
> When all this worked started back last year it was very hard to figure -
> now its
> coming to fruition the architecture stack is coming together very
> nicely and I'm looking forward to being able to orchestrate all
> this using the Registry.
>
> Thanks, DW.

CTO, XML Global Technologies