Subject: Re: [regrep] Using IDREF for accessControlPolicy

Monica,

From my point of view it is a design flaw to use IDREF in this particular
situation. It creates an unnecessary constraint rather than solves the
problem of indicating the relationship. Anyway, if you look at the data
model the honorable committee provided for RIM there are NO foreign keys.
What's the point to use ID/IDREF if there is no integrity reinforcement in
the DB?

I attached the response from one of committee members.

Regards,
Max

P.S.: It would be great if technical questions were answered thru the
mailing list so people do not need to chase it up like in this case.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monica Martin" <mmartin@certivo.net>
To: "Max Voskob" <mvoskob@msi.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 12:41 AM

> I would ask the responder to further explain and then publish it to the
> list.  (I need more info too).
>
> Monica

--- Begin Message ---
Guys,

There is no change needed. The way it works is:

-We do not spec ACP today and expect that it is defined out of band with
registry and associated with your object

-We require that ACP have an id like other registry objects

-Any Submitted object may reference an ACP by specifying its ID as an IDREF
type.

-The ACP is never submitted in a SubmitObjectRequest so it can never be in the
same document

-The ID/IDREF linkage is validated by having an ObjectRef with id same as the id
in accessControlPolicy attribute on the RegistryObject.

What this allows is for us to support custom ACP in V2.0 and link a custom ACP
to submitted objects assuming the custom ACP gets into the registry using
registry specific means.

So we dont need to change anything. Validation will work fine if there is an
ObjectRef with the same id as the accessControlProperty attribute value.

If you agree then we can send above explanation out.