Subject: [regrep] FW: UBL and UN/CEFACT

Registry TC,

Just an FYI - to Matt's earlier comment:

<Comment>
In any case, its to no one's benefit to start a turf war or competition as seen between UBL and ebCC.
</Comment>

Please see the e-mail below for some late-breaking news (please note that I am not in any way disputing Matt's observation, just adding to the picture).  As a UBL member, I agree with the statement below that "there is NO ACTUAL overlap between the UBL work and the Core Components work.".

Kind Regards,

>   Joseph M. Chiusano
>   Logistics Management Institute
>   2000 Corporate Ridge
>   McLean, VA 22102
>   Email: jchiusano@lmi.org
>   Tel: 571.633.7722

From: Patrick Gannon [mailto:patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 5:03 PM
To: ebxml-mgmt@lists.ebxml.org; ebtwg@lists.ebtwg.org;
un-tmwg@gefeg.com; cefact-ewg@list.unicc.org;
ubl-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; James Bryce Clark
Cc: Carol Geyer; Karl Best; ebxml-mgmt@lists.ebxml.org;
KNaujok@attglobal.net; jamie.clark@mmiec.com; raywalker@attglobal.net;
rberwanger@btrade.com; mcrawford@lmi.org; jon.bosak@sun.com
Subject: RE: UBL and UN/CEFACT

Jamie, Ralph, Ray and Klaus,

After meeting with Ray and Klaus at the CEFACT meeting in Geneva on
Thursday, I took their recommendation to heart and talked with as many of
the UBL members and CEFACT ATG members as possible.  One thing I discovered
is that there is NO ACTUAL overlap between the UBL work and the Core
Components work.  This reinforces my assertion that we (OASIS, UBL TC and
CEFACT) need to do a better job of educating our members and the larger
community of interested parties on exactly what the charters and work
products of these two groups are and how they fit together in a
complementary fashion.  Acquisition of a TC is not a substitution for clear,
unified communication on scope of work.

However, I did find UBL members and industry org reps who stated that we
need to find a way to better link the work of UBL with the industry domain
experts that will be doing industry specific work in the CEFACT ATG.  This
is an area of resource utilization and coordination that certainly is open
for creative dialog on how to bridge these efforts using the limited
resources from companies who participate in both CEFACT ATG and OASIS UBL.
I also expressed my views that widespread adoption of standards (such as
UBL) is a function of "sanction" and "traction".  Any solution on this
issues needs to address both axis of the adoption curve.  Time-to-market is
still as much a part of the issue today as it was in 1997 when I worked with
Bob Glushko to champion the original NIST-sponsored CBL effort between
CommerceNet and Veo Systems.  A "UBL" was needed then and is still a gapping
hole in the family of e-Business standards.

I look forward to receiving the proposal from CEFACT and hope that it will
be based on the facts of the matter, and consider all issues related to the
development AND adoption of UBL.

Respectfully submitted,

Patrick Gannon
President & CEO