Subject: [regrep] RE: [uddi-spec] ebXML Registry / UDDI Convergence

Anne,

I think everyone assumes these are competing - but actually I'm
seeing different models here.

It's not clear cut for people right now however, because
we've not formally articulated missions and business focus.

Nor have we really focused on how these two systems
could be complimentary / co-exist in unison.

Sure they can be purposed to do many of the same things,
but I believe the audiences are different - especially
around the deployment models.

So people may choose one over the other, or both,
depending on their business needs.  We need a
PPT at a minimum as a discussion point so that
people can understand what each world looks like
today.

I also see an obvious first step to create an interop' API
between the two with the simple goal of being able
to link (read-only) from an entry in one to an entry in
the other.  This is probably doable already today - but
we should formally write it up and have it go thru the
normal OASIS process.

One good place to start is an adoption and setup
guide.  What it takes to install, configure and operate
each system, and what types of content get stored.

Right there I believe we can see alot of the business
differences.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by Anne Thomas Manes

IMHO, it hurts us to have two competing standards. Convergence would be a
good thing. I don't expect it to be easy, though.

Anne<