Subject: RE: [regrep] Presentations and questions

Excuse me, I did not ask the question.  I am a profession Librarian and Information Scientist, and know the difference.

Let's please move on to some of the meatier questions that were asked at the conference, and leave the philosophical discussions for the time being :-)

Kathryn

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie [mailto:matt@mac-kenzie.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 11:55 AM
To: Breininger, Kathryn R
Cc: ebXML Regrep (E-mail); sang.shin@sun.com; weida@apelon.com;
akotok@disa.org; lane.derek@epa.gov

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 10:57  AM, Breininger, Kathryn R wrote:

> *	Taxonomies and classifications, what's the difference?

I always saw a taxonomy as a classification schema, and a
classification is in essence a association with a node of the taxonomy.

Taxonomy Node: Grains
Classification: Wheat associated with Grains

Joe is somewhat correct in saying that the difference is subtle, but
only in the sense that many of us (myself included) get lazy and refer
to a taxonomy as a classification.  I thing regrep gets around this by
calling a taxonomy a "classification scheme".

> *	URI for RegistryObject

ebXML Registry 3.0 will outline a way of providing a unique URI for
objects via its new, mandatory HTTP interface.  This functionality is
defined in the latest working drafts.

Best Regards,

Matthew MacKenzie