Subject: RE: [regrep] Presentations and questions : taxonomy vs. classification

*       How to register namespaces?

On this item, there was interest and discussion with Boeing (believe
Erik Still) and NIST. I believe they were discussing URIs that point to
a resource file that is like metadata for a namespace.   This may
overlap this question and the other ones associated with a URI (which
may be a broader question that the RegistryObject and the HTTP
capabilities discussed to this point).

I think we have multiple questions here.

Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: Breininger, Kathryn R [mailto:kathryn.r.breininger@boeing.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 2:20 PM
To: Farrukh Najmi; Berry, Nicholas F
Cc: Chiusano Joseph; ebXML Regrep (E-mail); sang.shin@sun.com;
weida@apelon.com; akotok@disa.org; lane.derek@epa.gov
Subject: RE: [regrep] Presentations and questions : taxonomy vs.
classification

Does anyone have any other comments on the other questions:

 Use of packages, how to organize items in a registry?
*       Taxonomies and classifications, what's the difference?
*       OAIS: integrity of objects over time
*       How to integrate 11179 and ebXML
*       Persistent locations in registries (DRIve)
*       How to register namespaces?
*       Multi-lingual capabilities
*       URI for RegistryObject

The third question (Integrity of objects over time) was asked
specifically by Derek Lane, from EPA.  More detail on his question
follows:

1. Comparison between the two concepts ebXML Reg/Rep with OAIS
[Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS)]
2. Capability to ensure integrity of objects over time
3. If a checksum may be required to ensure that the object is what was
submitted over time (mentioned by Lane in discussion).

Please respond with answers on the third question (details 1-3 above)
directly to the list and Derek Lane at lane.derek@epa.gov  The link to
OAIS is at: http://ssdoo.gsfc.nasa.gov/nost/isoas/overview.html

Please also feel free to discuss each of the other questions above on
the list.  This is a good opportunity to address some of these
questions, and possibly consider for version 4.0 or as topics of best
practice papers!