Subject: Re: [regrep] Core Components and version 3

The largest issue to solve is the fact that Core Components have no set
data serialization.  Even though Core Components are syntax neutral (
actually more syntax agnostic), we still need to formally agree on how
to represent them.

Before anyone says "UML",  please be aware that UML is not a MIME type.
    It is true that you can express UML in several MIME types including
image/jpg and image/gif, but these fall short of the list of
requirements on CC's (and BIE's too).

I published a list of requirements to the CC group over one year ago
however, they have stated that this specific work is not within their
scope.  I support this statement given that the CC group has wisely
scoped their work into several narrow and specific blocks of work and
chosen to task these according to order of necessity (ie - the
methodology for discoverying CC's is first).

Some of the requirements are (IMHO):

1. Does not limit the CC or BIE to only being expressed in any one syntax
2. Is easily transformed into other data formats
3. Can link and point at other artifacts (although Registries can do this).
4. Is useful as an artifact when outside of the Registry environment.
5. Can be read and understood by both humans and machines
6. Is based on a global standard for data serialization (free parser
technology for all!!)

To me XML is the most logical choice, although ASN1 would work too.

IN the Wrox book "professoional ebXML Foundations", I took a crack at
establishing an XML format based on the current CC data model.  It
actually worked and Matt MacKenzie and I made some simple code to
extract a BIE from a CC (BIE's inline with the CC).  It is written in
Java and demonstrated the ability to implement the technology.

If anyone wants this,  please let me know and I will send out the source
code.

Duane Nickull

--
VP Strategic Relations,