Subject: Re: [regrep] FW: Namespace management

Thanks Duane. I think the prefix reference below was a carry-over from
the e-mail I cross posted between XML-DEV and here last week, in which
someone misunderstood the use of namespace prefixes. We're all on the
same page here.

Joe

Duane Nickull wrote:

> Max Voskob wrote:
> > David and all,
> >
> > I think it's not about prefixes or how you declare your namespaces in the
> > instance documents.
> >
> > Imagine an organisation where 25 departments are creating different XML
> > documents and formalise them with all sorts of documentation including XML
> > Schemas. How do they ensure that the new namespace ID they've just come up
> > with is not already used somewhere else within the organisation?
>  >>>>>>>>>
> I may be missing the use case for doing this.
>
> Namespaces use a unique value to qualify the namespace prefix.  Ones own
> URL is often used becuase URL's are guaranteed to be unique.  There is
> not problem with a collision of namespaces prefixes as long as the
> qualifier value is unique.
>
> example - the foo element
>
> <firstXML xmlns:ebxml="http://www.ebxml.org/thefirstplace">
>     <ebxml:foo>content</ebxml:foo>
> </firstXML>
>
> is different than
>
> <firstXML xmlns:ebxml="http://www.ebxml.org/somewhereElse">
>     <ebxml:foo>content</ebxml:foo>
> </firstXML>
>
> Of course,  if the same organization uses the same namespace prefix and
> the same namespace qualifier, then it would indicate equivalency.
>
> Duane
>
> --
> VP Strategic Relations,
> Technologies Evangelist
> XML Global Technologies
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano