Subject: RE: [regrep] Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

Joe,

Crawl, walk, run I think needs to apply here ; -)

Message text written by Chiusano Joseph
>This opens up all sorts of possibilities in an XML registry, such as:

  (1)Query on all "XML artifacts" (elements/attributes/datatypes" that
are in a given namespace;

>>> That we can do if we have the right XML content and semantics,
        plus smart classifications.

  (2)Reassign XML artifacts from one namespace to another (would
automatically search all registered XML schemas/documents for all
declarations/use of such artifacts in such namespace and change the
namespace identifier in the XML schema/document);

>>> I would not like to even attempt this by hand!  Sounds simple - but
 lots of potential "gotchas" depending on namespace usage....
<<

  (3)Perform an automatic comparison of the "contents" of 2 (or more)
namespaces, for harmonization purposes (perhaps an organization has a
"test" namespace and an equivalent "production" namespace, and they wish
to determine which artifacts need to be promoted from test to production
at the proper time);

...and countless more.

>>> I'd say this was out of scope for registry IMHO.  Comparing
catalogue of members would be more doable than comparing
content.

Cheers, DW.