Subject: [regrep] PATH syntax in queries

Section 8.2.7 in ebRS describes the XPATH subset path filter expression
syntax. In our experience with implementation of V2.1 this is difficult
to implement if the underlying implementation is not based upon an XML DB.

Note also that we are adding wildcard-based pattern matching support to
filter query using LIKE syntax in V3.

I would like to propose that we modify the PATH syntax specification to
require the pattern matching support but make all other XPATH syntax be
optional. Specifically it only effects the use of '//' syntax to denote
descendent of. That can easily be done with wild card matching on the
path (e.g. /urn:uuid:..../foo/%)

The above change would make it easier for all implementations to support
the spec without sacrificing functionality. Does this sound like a
reasonable improvement to make the spec easier to implement, without
reducing functionality?