Subject: Re: [regrep] One RegistryObject - Many ACPs proposal

I like this idea very much (of course).  I also prefer Beethoven. :)

Regarding the following:

<Quote>
We need precedence rules for how the 4 sets play together. On this last
point I am thinking some more and discussing with some experts.
</Quote>

Perhaps we can weave in the idea of Preference Indicators for
associations, as in my last message.  This would allow one to simply
indicate a hierarchy of preference based on their own criteria (which
may involve preference of the SO's ACP over the RO's ACP, or vice-versa,
etc.)

Joe

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> While reviewing Joe's Web Service registration paper I encountered an
> apparent mistake in how the paper suggested one associate an ACP with a
> RegistryObject. The ebRIM 2.36 spec says that that a single ACP is
> associated with a RegistryObject via its accessControlPolicy object. The
> BP paper suggested using an Association instead.
>
> At first I was about to flag this as a mistake but then I realized that
> this was a better way to assign an ACP to a RegistryObject because:
>
> -In many cases there would be no custom ACP. In current approach, there
> would be a waste of accessControlPolicy attribute. Under the Association
> approach no waste occurs.
>
> -In current approach, there can only be one ACP associated with a
> RegistryObject. Under the Association approach multiple ACPs may be
> associated with a RegistryObject.
>
> Proposed Changes To ACP
> ------------------------
>
> -Drop accessControlPolicyAttribute attribute from RegistryObject
>
> -Define a new canonical associationType "AccessControlPolicyFor"
>
> -Define that zero or more ACPs may be associated with a RegistryObject
> via an Associations where ACP is sourceObject and RegistryObject is
> targetObject.
>
> -Define that when evaluating access control for a RegistryObject, The
> following 4 sets of ACPs will be considered:
>
> 1. Default ACP for the Registry
>
> 2. User ACP
>
> 3. Submitting Organization's ACP (if any)
>
> 4. Responsible Organization's ACP (if any)
>
> We need precedence rules for how the 4 sets play together. On this last
> point I am thinking some more and discussing with some experts.
>
> The result is that a very powerful ACP model that takes into account the
> policies of all stake holder's in the RegistryObject. It also avoids
> having to evaluate policies that have nothing to do with this object
> (efficient).
>
> What do people think of this suggestion?
>
> Thanks to Joe for inspiring this idea. Reminds me that Mozart got it
> right the first time ;-)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Farrukh

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano