Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML and UN/CEFACT - Request for Clarification

Thanks Kathryn. I'm still not sure what the press release means in
regard to submission to the UN/CEFACT plenary (i.e. what are the
implications). Jamie Clark states:

<Quote>
CEFACT then asked OASIS to agree to make the first submission to
CEFACT's own UN/ECE recommendation process in May 2003.  OASIS
agreed.   (This is what the press release mentions.)
</Quote>

And the press release stated:

<Quote>
We are very pleased that the ebXML specifications will be submitted to
the UN/CEFACT plenary immediately following the ebXML Showcase. This
should pave the way for a UN recommendation to industry, commerce and
governments on the use of ebXML."
</Quote>

These really say the same thing...but what is the true meaning of both
one level deeper?

Thanks,
Joe
"Breininger, Kathryn R" wrote:

> Here is what I learned:
>
> From Karl:
> Talk about the submission has been going on for quite some time, all the
> way back to Vienna or earlier. I sent to the ebXML chairs some months
> ago of summary of where we were with the process and asked for comments,
> and got no response.
>
> As to ISO rejecting the specs, the story goes more or less like this:
> the ebXML JCC (CEFACT and OASIS reps) discussed last summer and fall
> submitting the ebXML specs to ISO, probably TC154. In December a member
> of the ISO Central Secretariat approached Ray Walker and I at a meeting
> to ask where we were with the decision, and given that we were somewhat
> close to deciding Ray and I offered to put together a draft submission,
> which we did. ISO, not realizing that it was just a draft and that the
> decision hadn't been finalized yet, ran with the submission and opened
> up a ballot at TC154 to approve the specs. The ebXML JCC asked ISO to
> withdraw the ballot as we had not made the final decision as to
> where/when to submit. ISO withdrew the ballot as we requested. I don't
> know if TC154 actually voted down the ballot, but shouldn't have as it
> was withdrawn part-way through the balloting period. Jamie can fill you
> in on how the decision is going on where/when to finally submit, as I'm
> not on the JCC any more.
>
> -Karl
>
> From Jamie Clark:
> Good afternoon all.  Karl's got the history exactly right.  Here's the
> explanation I use, in case it's helpful:
>      One ISO subcommittee launched a ballot about ebXML standards before
> getting approval from the owners of the standards (CEFACT and OASIS).
>      When we heard, we jointly asked the ISO central secretariat to
> withdraw it, so that the proper process could be completed first.  They
> did.  Perhaps the TC voted to acknowledge this, but we didn't do a press
> release because nothing happened.
>      CEFACT then asked OASIS to agree to make the first submission to
> CEFACT's own UN/ECE recommendation process in May 2003.  OASIS
> agreed.   (This is what the press release mentions.)
>      After May, the joint OASIS-CEFACT coordinating committee will turn
> back to the question of what other approvals should be pursued, and in what
> order.  ISO is still on the table and there are lots of other suggestions
> from our community as well.
>
> Regards    Jamie
>
> Hope that helps clarify!
> Kathryn

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano