Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML Registry and Workflow

Peter,

<Quote>
Why should I use it (reg/rep) instead of the CMS that I already have?

We need good answers for that since CMS is already a very established
category.
</Quote>

That is an excellent question - and I have the answer. With XML so
ubiquitous now, there are distinct advantages of registering and
maintaining your documents (such as Adobe PDFs) and their related XML
artifacts (such as XML Schemas and stylesheets - and possibly XML
instances) all in the same "type" of registry (i.e. the same standard,
not necessarily the same exact registry instance). Furthermore, once we
add more granular capabilities to our registry architecture through Core
Components and the upcoming Elements/Attributes/Datatypes/Namespaces
registration and maintenance capabilities, the advantages will multiply.

These are things I will be emphasizing in my future article for the AIIM
magazine, on the synergies between ECM and ebXML Registry.

Joe

Peter Kacandes wrote:

> Well, this is a question I get within Adobe when I talk about reg/rep.
>
> Why should I use it (reg/rep) instead of the CMS that I already have?
>
> We need good answers for that since CMS is already a very established
> category.
>
> The other question I get is why shouldn't they just use a database?
>
> Below is a directly quoted excerpt of the types of questions I get. It would
> be very useful to have very crisp answers to these types of inquiries:
>
> "What are adjacent or competing solutions and what subset of problems is the
> ebXML registry best suited to?  Does this double as a DM/CM repository? Is
> it really a smarter 2nd generation repository?  How does this compete, if at
> all, with solutions offered by ECM or DAM vendors? Why and when use this
> rather than a database?  For what types of problems is it the best solution,
> and for which is it less optimal? Why?"
>
> cheers
>
> pk

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano