Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML Registry and Workflow

I beg to differ.
- Most databases can now handle arbitary content very easily. They can store
any arbitray XML as a CLOB, or they can shred an XML document and map the
various elements to a set of tables -- your choice. Most databases now also
support XPath and XQuery queries against both CLOBs and shredded data (and
even against regular relational data) -- returning results as XML.
- Many databases now provide a Web interface that supports SQL, XPath, and
XQuery queries.
- SQL has been a standard for much longer than XML. The SQL System tables
are standard metadata representations
- Most databases allow you to expose stored procedures and table function as
Web services. Table functions can also invoke Web services.
- All databases provide extremely rich, fine-grained authentication and
authorization services -- admitedly the administration process is
proprietary, but in all cases it just comes down to mapping an authetication
token to a principal and then applying the authorization rules. All database
systems support signatures as an authentication mechanism. How the mechanism
works is transparent to the user -- only the administrator has to worry
about setting it up.
- All database systems support content-based notification services -- and
they are customizable to support a variety of notification mechanisms. You
can receive your notification via IM, email, SOAP, etc.

I agree that database systems don't provide first class support for
taxonomies -- although it's pretty trivial to store a taxonomy in a
database. I generally think of taxonomies as a feature of the registry,
though, not the repository.

The big downsides to storing arbitrary data in a relational database are:
- performance of CLOB searches and shredding is generally horrendous
- A database doesn't provide version management facitlities

I tend to be rather conservative about data stores, so I would discourage
most people from storing XML metadata in a relational database. The more
pressing question is why not just store the metadata in a traditional
content management system?

Anne