Subject: Re: [regrep] UDDI as the registry for ebXML components: Typo?

<Quote1>
My interpretation of the paragraph is "ebXML services and Web services",
where "ebXML services" = services that communicate using the ebXML
infrastructure (ebMS and possibly CPPA and BPSS), and "Web services" =
services that communicate using the SOAP/WSDL infrastructure.
</Quote1>

That's a fair interpretation, I believe. In light of that, I'll restate
the quote from the UDDI TN:

"This introduces significant concerns of cost and manageability, because
ebXML and Web services impose separate infrastructure requirements and
platform components."

So given your interpretation, this would mean ([]'s indicate
substitution of your intepretation into original text):

"This introduces significant concerns of cost and manageability, because
[services that communicate using the ebXML infrastructure (ebMS and
possibly CPPA and BPSS)] and [services that communicate using the
SOAP/WSDL infrastructure] impose separate infrastructure requirements
and platform components."

I think that's fair - separate infrastructure and platform components
are required in cases where one is creating/maintaining a CPPA or BPSS,
and where one is creating WSDL description and SOAP messages (using a
SOAP toolkit, for instance).

I would also emphasize that UDDI does not support creation of WSDL
descriptions and SOAP messages either.

<Quote2>
There is more to "infrastructure" than just the registry. The ebXML
infrastructure is different from the SOAP/WSDL infrastructure, and users
must deploy different platform components to support the two
infrastructures.
</Quote2>

Yes (please reference my response direction above). I would then infer
from that that there is more to "infrastructure" than just a UDDI
registry, as ebXML Registry and UDDI Registry are (in my mind) very
close to being equal in terms of functionality and capability for
registration and maintenance of Web service descriptions, given v3.0 of
both specifications.

<Quote3>
You can register both SOAP/WSDL services and ebXML services in a UDDI
registry. Of course you can say the same for an ebXML registry.
</Quote3>

<Quote4>
But this is a UDDI TN, so it makes sense for this TN to explain how to
use UDDI to support both environments.
</Quote4>

What would you think if we presented information in an ebXML TN that
could easily be misinterpreted by readers regarding UDDI's capabilities?

Joe

Absolutely

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

> Joe said:
> <snip>
> > <Quote2>
> > the technical note uses the term "Web services" to refer to WSDL-base
> > Web services, and it implies that ebXML services are not Web services.
> > Is this your objection?
> > </Quote2>
> >
> > Not exactly - my observation is with the wording of the following
> > phrase:
> >
> > "ebXML and Web services impose separate infrastructure requirements and
> > platform components."
> >
> > To the reader, "ebXML and Web services" could mean "ebXML services and
> > Web services" (where "ebXML services" could mean BPSS for example), or
> > it could mean "ebXML and Web services". Whichever one it is interpreted
> > as, I think it is not accurate because one can register and maintain Web
> > services descriptions (whether they be WSDL, DAML-S, etc.) in an ebXML
> > Registry.
>
> Three points:
> - Given the readership of this TN (presumably UDDI users), I'm not sure that
> the destinction makes a lot of difference. My interpretation of the
> paragraph is "ebXML services and Web services", where "ebXML services" =
> services that communicate using the ebXML infrastructure (ebMS and possibly
> CPPA and BPSS), and "Web services" = services that communicate using the
> SOAP/WSDL infrastructure.
> - There is more to "infrastructure" than just the registry. The ebXML
> infrastructure is different from the SOAP/WSDL infrastructure, and users
> must deploy different platform components to support the two
> infrastructures.
> - The whole point of the technical note is to help users reduce one piece of
> that duplicate infrastructure: the registry. You can register both SOAP/WSDL
> services and ebXML services in a UDDI registry. Of course you can say the
> same for an ebXML registry. But this is a UDDI TN, so it makes sense for
> this TN to explain how to use UDDI to support both environments.
>

> > Adding of the following phrase in the front of the above one (I believe)
> > skews the message even further:
> >
> > "This introduces significant concerns of cost and manageability,"
>
> Do you dispute that maintaining dual infrastructures introduces additional
> costs and management?
>

> > So my bottom-line question would be: Why should there be a need for
> > separate infrastructure requirements and platform components for ebXML
> > and Web services?
>
> Because most Web services platforms (.NET, WebLogic, WebSphere, Oracle 9iAS,
> EAServer, JBoss, WASP, GLUE, Cape Clear, XMLBus, PocketSOAP, SOAP:Lite,
> etc.) don't support ebXML. And most people that build SOAP/WSDL Web services
> use one of these platforms.
>
> Regards,
> Anne
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano