Subject: [Fwd: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?]

Forwarding from XML-DEV - the original question was:

<Quote>
I have been asked what tools can extract a part of a schema.  The
overall schema is large, complex, and imports five or six other schemas
into several target namespaces.  The individual involved wants to create
a smaller subset that contains everything that one project needs, for
the purposes of instruction and training.
</Quote>

Please see my response below, discussing what our Registry will be able
to do for him in the future.

Joe

Tom,

This won't help you in the immediate present (don't you like it when a
response starts like that?;) but:

In the future, my vision is that the OASIS/ebXML Registry will allow one
to do exactly this. The Registry architecture does not yet (explicitly)
allow for the registration of "fine-grained" XML artifacts such as
elements/attributes/datatypes/namespace identifiers, but I am working to
ensure that in the future it will (and am confident that we will reach
this goal within the next year).

So, referencing your example, my vision is that one would be able to
query the Registry for all elements/attributes/datatypes that belong to
targetNamespace XYZ, and select a subset of those elements to be
included in a new schema that is then assembled using that subset.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Member, OASIS/ebXML Registry TC

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> I have been asked what tools can extract a part of a schema.  The overall
> schema is large, complex, and imports five or six other schemas into several
> target namespaces.  The individual involved wants to create a smaller subset
> that contains everything that one project needs, for the purposes of
> instruction and training.
>
> The problem is how to get all the necessary pieces so that nothing is left
> out that is required for the schema to work.  XML Spy can be helpful with
> its graphics, but there is no link from the graphics view to the text view,
> so it is hard to find the pictured piece of the XML for copying.   You can
> do some degree of copying and pasting the graphics view blocks between
> schemas, but of course you have to keep track yourself of the bits you have
> already transferred.  Also it is hard to be sure you have gotten everything
> you need.
>
> Does anyone know of such a tool?  If not, any suggestions based on actual
> experience in doing this kind of task?  It seems to me that finding all the
> dependencies within the schema and its imports would be the hardest part.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom P

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano