Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?]

Thanks Farrukh.

<Quote1>
to discuss this in context of his experience in OASIS CAM.
</Quote1>

Context - hahaha (there's a joke in there that some folks may get):)

<Quote2>
Maybe we can add this to next week agenda for discussion?
</Quote2>

Absolutely - it's on the list.

Joe

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>
> >Forwarding from XML-DEV - the original question was:
> >
> ><Quote>
> >I have been asked what tools can extract a part of a schema.  The
> >overall schema is large, complex, and imports five or six other schemas
> >into several target namespaces.  The individual involved wants to create
> >a smaller subset that contains everything that one project needs, for
> >the purposes of instruction and training.
> ></Quote>
> >
> >Please see my response below, discussing what our Registry will be able
> >to do for him in the future.
> >
> This is good Joe.
>
> I too have been thinking about this concept under the title of
> supporting "Dynamic Content Assembly" of any type of content within the
> registry with focus on XML content of course. David Webber and I plan to
> speak on this concept today or tomorrow to discuss this in context of
> his experience in OASIS CAM. This idea of server side "Dynamic Content
> Assembly" is an essential feature for Enterprise Content Management
> (ECM). I think it is much more interesting to support this as a
> capability within the registry than as a feature outside the registry
> within registry client.
>
> Maybe we can add this to next week agenda for discussion? Thanks.
>

> >Joe

> > Re: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?
> > From:
> > Joseph Chiusano <Chiusano_Joseph@bah.com>
> > Date:
> > Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:57:09 -0400
> > To:
> > "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>
> >

> >Tom,
> >
> >This won't help you in the immediate present (don't you like it when a
> >response starts like that?;) but:
> >
> >In the future, my vision is that the OASIS/ebXML Registry will allow one
> >to do exactly this. The Registry architecture does not yet (explicitly)
> >allow for the registration of "fine-grained" XML artifacts such as
> >elements/attributes/datatypes/namespace identifiers, but I am working to
> >ensure that in the future it will (and am confident that we will reach
> >this goal within the next year).
> >
> >So, referencing your example, my vision is that one would be able to
> >query the Registry for all elements/attributes/datatypes that belong to
> >targetNamespace XYZ, and select a subset of those elements to be
> >included in a new schema that is then assembled using that subset.
> >
> >Kind Regards,
> >Joe Chiusano
> >Booz | Allen | Hamilton
> >Member, OASIS/ebXML Registry TC
> >
> >"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:
> >

> >>I have been asked what tools can extract a part of a schema.  The overall
> >>schema is large, complex, and imports five or six other schemas into several
> >>target namespaces.  The individual involved wants to create a smaller subset
> >>that contains everything that one project needs, for the purposes of
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano