Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?]

<Quote1>
I think it would be relatively trivial to define a new object type
called "XML Fragment"
</Quote1>

As per the Core Components work, the ObjectType would be one of:

- BCC (Basic Core Component)
- ACC (Aggregate Core Component)
- BBIE (Basic Business Information Entity)
- ABIE (Aggregate Business Information Entity)
etc.

We will include in the CCRIM a mechanism for the registry to signify the
type of content - i.e. UML, XML, etc.

<Quote2>
Bidirectional associations could then be used to associate the fragments
("Contains") & ("PartOf").
</Quote2>

Absolutely - also covered in the CCRIM work. For example, we will have
"Contains" associations from an ACC to its comprising BCCs.

<Quote3>
I think registry already has the capability to do this sort of thing.
</Quote3>

Yes - and that is what we are leveraging as part of the CCRIM work.

<Quote4>
Must we place every use case in the specification?
</Quote4>

You're going to see *plenty* of use cases in our CCRIM Technical Note,
due out in the Fall.

<Quote5>
Maybe a best practice doc is needed.
</Quote5>

You might consider the CCRIM Technical Note to be such a best practice
doc. Stay tuned...

Joe
Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

> I think it would be relatively trivial to define a new object type
> called "XML Fragment", then use a simple tool which merely took a
> schema, made a copy of the enclosing <schema /> element, inserted that
> to the registry, then one by one added all other global elements top the
> registry.  Bidirectional associations could then be used to associate
> the fragments ("Contains") & ("PartOf").
>
> I think registry already has the capability to do this sort of thing.
> Must we place every use case in the specification?  Maybe a best
> practice doc is needed.
>
> -Matt
>
> Duane Nickull wrote:
>
> > Farrukh/Joseph:
> >
> > I would believe the correct approach would be to do one of the follwoing:
> >
> > 1. Place only schema fragments into the registry in the first place.
> > This maximizes re-use of data elements amoung multiple schemas.  Each
> > schema fragment is a separate registry object and can be individually
> > retrieved, then aggregated outside of the registry into a schema.
> > This is the CC and BIE approach and I was about to put UBL into the
> > Registry in this manner.  Each Daa Element is a registry obejct.
> >
> > Problems occur with respect to cardinality rules and context.  Is
> > "Address" the same within the context of a mapping source if it occurs
> > within a heirarchic context of //PO/ShipperParty than when it occurs
> > in //PO/BuyerParty? I think not..
> >
> > 2. Allow participants to retrieve the entire schema then work on it
> > externally.  It is easy towrite code to do this outsideofthe registry.
> >
> > I would be concerned about continually adding many new features. I
> > would not want the registry to become a Swiss Army Knife for
> > integration.  It has a scope in the architecture as a
> > registry/repository to support other applications/processes.
> >
> > Duane
> >

> > Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> >> This is good Joe.
> >>
> >> I too have been thinking about this concept under the title of
> >> supporting "Dynamic Content Assembly" of any type of content within
> >> the registry with focus on XML content of course. David Webber and I
> >> plan to speak on this concept today or tomorrow to discuss this in
> >> context of his experience in OASIS CAM. This idea of server side
> >> "Dynamic Content Assembly" is an essential feature for Enterprise
> >> Content Management (ECM). I think it is much more interesting to
> >> support this as a capability within the registry than as a feature
> >> outside the registry within registry client.
> >>
> >> Maybe we can add this to next week agenda for discussion? Thanks.

> --
> Matthew MacKenzie
> Yellow Dragon Software Corporation
> http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com/
> m: +1 506.869.0175
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano