Subject: Re: FW: [regrep] Minutes from our telecon September 4, 2003

I specifially was very wary of this statement by UN/CEFACT

"Two distinct trends will help to solve the platform plurality problem.
First, there is a consensus that of
the different technologies available for eCommerce development,
companies should standardize on
either J2EE (Java 2 Enterprise Edition) or Microsoft.NET - or even both.
Secondly, Web Services,
virtually removing the problem altogether since they are based on open
standards - irrespective of
Microsoft or Java - they will be a uniting theme around the enterprise."

Perhaps this should present a more balanced approach.

IMO - XML is the data format that removes the dependency on platform.
ebXML MS, SOAP (built on http, SMTP, FTP etc) and other messaging
formats facilitate the transport between platforms too. HTML for display
is agnostic to platform.

.NET is in no way a mechanism to acheive platform neutrality. This
statement blatantly lies by leading a read to somehow extrapolate that
.NET couldbe run on Linux. The fact that M$ sued someone who tried this
doesn't project that image.

Feh!!!

Duane