Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: ObjectRef and RegistryObject need common basetype]

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> the issue/suggestion below seems to make good sense from an OO stand
> point.

Looking at the suggestion in some detail I note that we made a change in
V3 schema to use OO techniques in RegistryObjectList to simplify V2
schema such that instead of itemizing every type of RegistryObject
individually we simply allow the base type RegistryObject to be used.
However it still had the complexity of treating RegistryObject and
RegistryObjectRef separately.

V2.1 Schema:

   <complexType name = "LeafRegistryObjectListType">
       <choice minOccurs = "0" maxOccurs = "unbounded">
           <element ref = "tns:ObjectRef"/>
           <element ref = "tns:Association"/>
           <element ref = "tns:AuditableEvent"/>
           <element ref = "tns:Classification"/>
           <element ref = "tns:ClassificationNode"/>
           <element ref = "tns:ClassificationScheme"/>
           <element ref = "tns:ExternalIdentifier"/>
           <element ref = "tns:ExternalLink"/>
           <element ref = "tns:ExtrinsicObject"/>
           <element ref = "tns:Organization"/>
           <element ref = "tns:RegistryPackage"/>
           <element ref = "tns:Service"/>
           <element ref = "tns:ServiceBinding"/>
           <element ref = "tns:SpecificationLink"/>
           <element ref = "tns:User"/>
       </choice>
   </complexType>

V2.5 Schema (note simplification from v2.1):

 <complexType name="RegistryObjectListType">
   <sequence>
     <element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"
ref="tns:RegistryObject"/>
     <element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"
ref="tns:RegistryObjectRef"/>
   </sequence>
 </complexType>

Mei's suggestion would allows V2.5 schema to be made further OO and
simplified:

 <complexType name="RegistryObjectListType">
   <sequence>
     <element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" ref="tns:Identifiable"/>
   </sequence>
 </complexType>

IMO, such simplification is in the right direction.
The impact on the schema should be quite minor. The benifit will be
simlification of implementations.

Can we add this to our agenda for next week. Thanks.