Subject: Re: [chairs] Re: [regrep] [Fwd: ObjectRef and RegistryObject needcommon base type]

Rex, Farrukh:

It's been the case for quite some time now that a person must subscribe
to the comment list in order to post a comment. I know that it sounds
silly to require this, but we've got to keep the spam off the lists and
out of the archives, and the only other method is to moderate all of the
comment lists and I haven't heard anyone volunteer to handle them all.

We are putting together a web form that can be used to submit comments;
I hope that we can launch this pretty quickly (we're also working on a
couple other things at the same time). Once we have this then the guy on
the street won't need to subscribe in order to send just one comment.

-Karl

Rex Brooks wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I caught this on the ebxml registry list and while I have not checked on
> the actual procedures in place with regard to the current manifestation
> of OASIS poolicy on the public comment lists, I find this unexceptional.
> With apologies to OASIS, I have to say that I find the current policy to
> have, in effect, killed the public comment lists, to the detriment of
> the TCs and OASIS at large at a time when many of us are trying our best
> to improve the stature of OASIS in the arena of standards bodies. This
> is a shame, and I must admit that I have, in effect, also thrown in the
> towel because it is a fight that I doubt we can win. The official mind
> is made up, and regardless of the rationale, the effect may already be
> irreversible. After more than two years of working on the Human Markup
> Language, I have concluded that one would be foolish to stand in the
> line of fire when any human being or group of humans decides to shoot
> itself in the foot.
>
> As Pogo observed, "We have met the enemy and it is us."
>
> Ciao, but sadly,
> Rex
>
> At 10:00 PM -0600 9/25/03, Monica Martin wrote:
>
>> Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that the regrep-comments list is now requiring that the
>>> sender be subscribed? This does not seem right. Should we not allow
>>> an external commenter to send comments unimpeded? I could not even
>>> figure out how to tell Mei Zhao to subscribe. Kathryn, could you
>>> please look into a solution to this recurring problem.
>>>
>>> In any event the issue/suggestion below seems to make good sense from
>>> an OO stand point.
>>

>> mm1: On the suggestion, sounds reasonable.  On the issue about comment
>> list, I seem to remember some kind of an issue with Kavi and the fact
>> that the comment signup was either not intuitive or didn't work
>> correctly.  The webmaster should know on the system aspects. As to the
>> change in process, I can't answer there.
>>

>> To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster
>> of the OASIS TC), go to
>> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/members/leave_workgroup.php.

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org