Subject: RE: [regrep] UK Govt regrep requirements

Paul,

Since we're discussing this topic.  The OASIS CAM approach
is designed to give you a "bridge" - leaving your existing
systems and semantics in-situ - while migrating smoothly
to a new future state.

The "magic" is the content reference section as the use
of the UID system to formalize the crosswalks and the
context rules, and of course enable federated registries
to provide automated assembly support.

I'm not sure UBL is the complete answer (or what the question
might be if it is!) - but we see lots of domain authoritive
sources (such as STEP, RosettaNet, OAGI, UPU and so on) - where
we need a means to normalize our own local usage and
vocabulary to that of a community standard.

It's this harmonization that works and CAM is designed
to foster.  It also helps teams like UBL get to where
they want to be in terms of semantic alignment faster and
easier - although to date I'm still fighting the NIH on
that one! ; -)

Thanks, DW.