Subject: RE: [regrep] [Q] RDF API versus creating an ebXML Registry Knowledge Model

<Matthew MacKenzie>I agree 100% that having a single API is critically
important.  There already is a perception that "ebXML" is too
complicated for the average developer, giving rise to purpose-driven
registries such as UDDI. Please don't add more APIs! </Matthew
MacKenzie>

Matthew, I don't think that purpose-driven ebXML Registries are
necessarily a bad thing. I have never liked UDDI Registries. I would
think that you want people extend the solutions that the ebXML Registry
used to satisfy. I remember the first time I used a LDAP database to
serve dynamic content. It felt "wrong."  The LDAP database was written
originally as a means to store user passwords and group privileges.  But
LDAP databases had quicker read properties than Relational Databases at
that time.

<Matthew MacKenzie>If ebReg is to allow formats like RDF within a
SubmitObjectsRequest, I would support adding a new type of request, call
it CapabilitiesRequest, where a registry could list the types of XML
data it can accept and where.  I think this would greatly benefit
interoperability as this type of functionality is added. </Matthew
MacKenzie>
I think that the bigger question becomes should the ebXML Registry
standard reflect the difference between an Object Oriented "Class" and
Ontology Oriented "Concept." Should we be talking about Description
Logics and OWL DL support?  Do we run into problems with RDF support
when RDF-Rules standard is finished?

Zachary Alexander
The IT Investment Architect
ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
http://www.ebTDesign.com
http://www.p2pspeaker.com
http://www.p2peconomy.com

I agree 100% that having a single API is critically important.  There
already is a perception that "ebXML" is too complicated for the average
developer, giving rise to purpose-driven registries such as UDDI.
Please don't add more APIs!

If ebReg is to allow formats like RDF within a SubmitObjectsRequest, I
would support adding a new type of request, call it CapabilitiesRequest,
where a registry could list the types of XML data it can accept and
where.  I think this would greatly benefit interoperability as this type
of functionality is added.

Regards,

Matthew MacKenzie
Senior Architect