Subject: Fwd: Re: [emergency] BEA, Microsoft, and Tibco ReleaseWS-Eventing Specification

Title: Fwd: Re: [emergency] BEA, Microsoft, and Tibco Release WS-
Excuse the non-sequitur post, but I wondered if anyone on this list might be interested in this development?

It's billed as a substrate allowing more than simple http request-response by using ws-addressing to decouple message from transport. I thought that was already possible, but maybe I missed something.

What do we really need that registries and http request-response doesn't do while very effectively restraining clutter and scalability issues in important channels (not to mention enforcing security considerations)?

Also, shouldn't "eventing" be reserved to processes that have definite, understood, triggered response processes? An interesting event sounds a bit like a distraction more than an important event with immediate important consequences.

Sounds like a boondoggle to me, but what do I know, eh?

Ciao,
Rex

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:42:21 -0800
To: "Aerts, John F." <jfaerts@lasd.org>, emergency@lists.oasis-open.org
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
Cc: "'emergency-if@lists.oasis-open.org'" <emergency-if@lists.oasis-open.org>
Bcc:

This is of more than a little interest. It troubles me. I don't understand what this is good for in and of itself. It doesn't "DO" anything but pass messages as far as I can see, and doesn't do anything else that isn't already possible.  Also it introduces yet more new "notation" that uses "?"., "*" and "+" for cardinality values. WSRP already has a registry-based WSDL mechanism for the processes described in this specification, not to mention a whole flock of mechanisms that were crafted in order to leave room for "true" eventing. Eventing requires (IMHO) "triggering" mechanisms with clear defined results quite beyond receipt of a simple message whether it is an event, notification or what? and regardless of whether or not any such "subscription" is involved beyond "registration."

It also bothers me when I see a specification that so concerned with fault messages and failure scenarios.

All of which adds up in my mind to an attempt to somehow "own" the term "eventing" and apply the concept of "subscription" to it.

I think we can do a lot better.

Ciao,
Rex