Subject: Re: [regrep] [Ann] freebXML Registry Brochure

Peter Kacandes wrote:

>I notice that in the diagram you chose an Xform to illustrate content that
>would be registered.

XForms is the UI to enter the content in the registry and not teh
content itself.
However, we also store XForms in the registry so as to make them
discoverable.

>This seems overly limiting, especially given that in the first bullet of the
>next column you stress that it is "any content type"

Maybe we need to clarify this point.

Any type of content may be registered. For each type of content an XForm
based UI may be registered
to author that type of content.

The XForm as well as content instances are managed symmetrically by the
registry (precisely because it is content agnostic).

>At the very least, you should make it clear in the diagram that it is just
>illustrative of one example of content that could be registered.

Sorry for the confusion. It is so hard to express details when you are
constrained by real estate.

>Also, I'm curious why in the standards compliance area you list Xforms.

Because the implementation uses XForms among the standards that it
implements.

>Is there anything in the specifications that depends on Xforms that I'm not
>aware of?

Nothing in the specs requires XForms. That is no different from the fact
that nothing in the specs requires JAXR API as well as many other value
added features supported by the implementation. These are not features
of the standard. They are features of the product.

>Or does the freebXML Registry product have some build in Xforms support
>beyond the specs that it doesn't have for other types of contents?

XForms support is a value-added feature. It is not tied to a specific
type of content.

>If not, then I recommend that you either take it out or also list other
>standard content types such as PDF which is an ISO standard (which is a bit
>higher up the standards heirarchy), html, .doc, .sxw, .xls etc..

We do not use PDF in our implementation but we do use XForms.

We do not list all the (unlimited) content types that can be registered
by the registry unless it haqs something to do with a value-added
feature we provide.

Thanks for your suggetsions.