Subject: FW: New Issue: Infosets and XML Serialization

RegRep Team:

Will we have similar problems with the ebXML Registry serialization???

Zachary Alexander

The IT Investment Architect

ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325

http://www.ebTDesign.com | http://www.p2peconomy.com | http://www.itinvestmentvehicle.com

-----Original Message-----

From: xml-dist-app-request@w3.org [mailto:xml-dist-app-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Mark Nottingham

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 5:19 AM

To: xmlp-comments@w3.org

Cc: 'XMLP Dist App'

Subject: New Issue: Infosets and XML Serialization

At the F2F, we identified an issue regarding the Infoset and its

serialization in XML. Briefly, SOAP 1.2 is defined as transporting

Infosets. However, some bindings may/will not be capable of accepting

some Infosets, because different serializations are capable of

representing different subsets of the possible range of characters in

the Infoset.

As a result, there may be interoperability problems when different

bindings are in use, and some synthetic Infosets will not be able to be

transported by SOAP, even though it currently intimates that they can

be.

This issue is potentially related to that regarding XML 1.1.

--

Mark Nottingham   Principal Technologist

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems