Subject: WS-MetadataExchange: Target Namespace-Driven Discovery

A new WS-* specification was just announced whose concepts could be
leveraged for a registry such as UDDI or ebXML Registry. I would first
like to emphasize that this is a vendor specification, and not an open
standard. It's called WS-MetadataExchange [1], and I'd just like to
simply point out its potential relation to registries. So please
consider this e-mail as a purely academic exercise.

This specification defines messages to retrieve specific types of
metadata associated with an endpoint or a target namespace:

- The policy (WS-Policy) associated with a given endpoint or with a
given target namespace (p.3);
- The WSDL file associated with a given endpoint or with a given target
namespace (p.10);
- The XML Schema with a given endpoint or with a given target namespace
(p.15);

Of special interest to me for our purposes was how it enables discovery
of these artifacts not as they are defined for endpoints - but rather as
they are defined for given target namespaces. So in summary, this
mechanism could be implemented through a binding to a registry
specification to enable discovery of these artifacts according to their
target namespaces.

This reminds me somewhat of the Namespace Manager Function that I
proposed for our specification back in January 2002 [2]. :)
Joe

[1] http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2004-03-05-a.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200201/msg00061.html

Together these messages allow efficient, incremental retrieval of a Web
service's metadata.

Defines a bootstrap mechanism for metadata-driven message exchange.

Example - "Get Policy" request (p.3) - gets the policy associated with a
given endpoint (specify endpoint URI, get back policy) - for example,
the security tokens that an endpoint accepts, and their "preference"
order

Can also retrieve a policy associated with a given target namespace
(i.e. get a policy whose targetNamespace is XYZ)

Example - "Get WSDL" request (p.10) - gets the WSDL file associated with
a given endpoint or target namespace;

Example - "Get Schema" request (p.15) - gets the schema associated with
a given endpoint or target namespace;

A REGISTRY SPECIFICATION COULD IMPLEMENT A BINDING TO
WS-MetadataExchange TO ENABLE THE DISCOVERY OF POLICIES, WSDL FILES, AND
SCHEMAS ASSOCIATED WITH SPECIFIC TARGET NAMESPACES