Subject: Re: [regrep] Alignment with Web Services Security

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>Here is some additional information on wsu:Id which may or may not
>change our perspective:
>
>- The wsu:Id attribute is defined so that recipients don't have to
>understand the full schema of the message for processing of the security
>elements;
>
>- The wsu:Id attribute provides a well-known attribute for specifying
>the *local ID* of an element - that is, the ID of an element within an
>XML document;
>
>- The WSS SOAP Message Security specification does not specify how this
>attribute will be used, and "it is expected that other specifications
>MAY add additional semantics (or restrictions) for their usage of this
>attribute."
>
>- There are multiple places in the WSS SOAP Message Security spec in
>which the wsu:Id attribute is defined as a "string label" (ex: line 528)
>rather than as type xsd:ID - not sure if a URI would be considered a
>"string label";

The bottom line is the definition:

 <xsd:attribute name="Id" type="xsd:ID">

within http://www.docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-
wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd

which makes it quite unusable for us.

A simple fix would be to change above to:

<xsd:attribute name="Id" type="xsd:string">

That would addres my main concern with this spec.