Subject: RE: [regrep] Interest in Ontology Process Control Subcommittee

Joe,

There is a lot of collateral technology required to support ontologies.
Some of these technologies are in their infant 1.0 stage and others are
proprietary. All are specific to the ontology community not the registry
community.

I think that the standards should address how to open up the registry in
a logic system neutral manner without concentrating on how the ontology
developers will use it. I think that there should be the potential for a
clear separation of effort between registry developers and ontology
developers. Developers should not have to know both disciplines.

Anecdote: I spent sometime talking with the Netscape LDAP directory
developers back in 1999 and I asked them how their directories were
being used. They said that they couldn't tell me definitively.  They
said that LDAP developers kept coming up with new ways to use their
directories. I see the Ontology Process Control Subcommittee as a means
of facilitating the same kind of creativity.

Zachary Alexander
The IT Investment Architect
ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
http://www.ebTDesign.com | http://www.p2peconomy.com |