Subject: Re: Why not use ebXML Registry for OASIS documentr management?

Karl F. Best wrote:

> Farrukh:
>
> How long until version control is part of the spec? When will software
> be available?

We hope to have the initial proposal out this week or next. We hope to
have the version 3
ballot for TC approval in the next 2 months. I expect that the freebXML
Registry implementation
will support it in the next 3 months.

Note that for source code control subvesrion would still be the better
choice but for document management
ebXML Registry is the better fit. For example ebXML Registry will allow
the documents to be accessible
at user defined URLs. Subversion I suspect will not.

Subversion will also not support:

-Rich meta data such as classifications, associations etc. (and in
future Semantic Meta data)

-Content validation and cataloging

-Notification of changes based on specific event filtering queries

-Content based discovery

-Fine grained access control

-Federated repository model

BTW it is possible that an ebXML Registry implementation may use
subversion under the hood for
it versioning sub-system.

Let the TC know if you have any follow up questions or any suggestions
on features lacking in ebXML Registry standard.