Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

Duane Nickull wrote:

> Apologize for the cross post in advance, but I feel both of these
> groups need to address this issue.
>
> The Core Components and Registry specs both mandate a unique
> identifier to be used in certain places.  IN the registry, it is for
> every single registry object.  Each Core Component also must have an
> identifier.
> In a recent project I did, I decided to use the registry UUID format
> for the Core Components.  That is the DCE 128 bit algorithm for
> generating UUID's.  We also demonstrated programmatic access to the
> registry to retrieve copies of Core Components, slurped them into a
> context assembly utility along with an XML declaration of the 8
> context categories and values representing a specific set of contexts,
> and spat our several BIE's, which were aggregated onto an XML schema.
> The good news is that all went well and the system works perfect.
>
> There were some questions however that do need further discussion IMO.
>
> 1. Should a BIE carry the same UUID as the Core Component it was
> derived from?

Are they the same object? If so yes. If not not. Sorry I do not know
whether a registry stores only BIE or does it store CC and BIE? I
suspect it is the former. In that case same id makes sense.

> 2. Either in addition to, or alternatively to #1, should a BIE carry
> its' own unique UUID?  If it is placed into a registry, the UUID will
> be assigned to it by the registry,

A registry  client *CAN* specify a UUID for a RegistryObject and the
registry MUST honour it if it is a valid urn:uuid URN.

> but it also need to be serialized inline into the BIE to be used
> outside of the registry or in places where access to the Registry RIM
> instance data is not possible. (real world use cases exist for this).
>
> 3. If the BIE does have to have it's own UUID, possibly in addition to
> the COre COmponents UUID, should this UUID be in the 128 bit algorithm
> format OR should it use something akin to the UDEF format that can
> convey context variables?  This may be crucial to aid business mappers
> and integration software (rich client applications) to map the BIE to
> existing data sources.

I think it should be a UUID consistent with id atribute of RegistryObjects.