Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

<quote who="Chiusano Joseph">
> Duane Nickull wrote:
>>
>> Apologize for the cross post in advance, but I feel both of these groups
>> need to address this issue.
>>
>> The Core Components and Registry specs both mandate a unique identifier
>> to be used in certain places.  IN the registry, it is for every single
>> registry object.  Each Core Component also must have an identifier.
>> There were some questions however that do need further discussion IMO.
>>
>> 1. Should a BIE carry the same UUID as the Core Component it was derived
>> from?
>
> IMHO, no. They are 2 distinct entities.

Agreed

>> 2. Either in addition to, or alternatively to #1, should a BIE carry
>> its' own unique UUID?  If it is placed into a registry, the UUID will
> Yes - and we may want to explore the possibility of a BIE's UUID being
> somehow related to its "base" Core Component's UUID - perhaps by
> reflecting a part of the Core Component's UUID within the BIE's UUID
> somehow. But on the other hand this might be too heavyweight...

imho this is too cumbersome

>> be
>> assigned to it by the registry, but it also need to be serialized inline
>> into the BIE to be used outside of the registry or in places where
>> access to the Registry RIM instance data is not possible. (real world
>> use cases exist for this).

I think this is the crux of the problem that DW referred too. Once the RR
generated contructs are used outside of the RR the urn + uuid +
associations may have liitle relevance. Most likely a new set of 'locally
generated' (non RR compliant) identifiers will be imposed.  Which creates
a synchronization nightmare if a round-trip is ever attempted. OMG folk
spent a lot of time developing XMI to address this need.

>> 3. If the BIE does have to have it's own UUID, possibly in addition to
>> the COre COmponents UUID, should this UUID be in the 128 bit algorithm
>> format OR should it use something akin to the UDEF format that can
>> convey context variables?  This may be crucial to aid business mappers
>> and integration software (rich client applications) to map the BIE to
>> existing data sources.

agreed on URN + UUID . Additional (extrinsic ?) identifiers can be added
as required.

--
Carl Mattocks

co-Chair OASIS (ISO/TS 15000) ebXMLRegistry Semantic Content SC
CEO CHECKMi
v/f (usa) 908 322 8715
www.CHECKMi.com
Semantically Smart Compendiums