Subject: RE: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

Farrukh,

No, the problems I had were not because I was following the specification.
Its because in the application we did, we decided to keep the application's
native versioning and identification scheme, so basically we have a
humongous registry with 2 sets of (certain) metadata because we are using
Slots for version and identification info.  We certainly addressed
performance by using facilities available to us in the database, but I am
left with a bad taste in my mouth over circumventing some of the registry's
metadata management capabilities.

I think that implementers should keep in mind that Slots are a metadata
extension facility, and should not be used for anything that the registry
can do using existing attributes.

-Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 11:32 AM
Cc: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

>I would like to caution everyone against working around a registry's built
>in identification mechanisms.  By storing primary identifiers as Slots, we
>degrade the authority of the registry.  Registries use the UUIDs as their
>primary identifier to objects, and in practice they are optimized more
>completely for operations involving intrinsic metadata.  I've been involved
>in a complex technology integration involving ebXML registry, and a choice
>am regretting is using Slots for things that could technically be addressed
>by attributes of RegistryObject or RegistryEntry.

Matt,

Is there anything in what you did that is due to a bad decision in the
specs? If so
please share so we consider improving the specs. In the specs we sometimes
use canonical Slots instead of attributes but it is relatively rare.

Also note that in the versioning proposal 0.3 we got rid of use of Slots
in favour of attributes
(comapred to version 0.2) for the very reasons you cite.

BTW please share your thoughts on versioning proposal 0.3 on that
thread. It would be good
if you have us benifit from the practical experience implementing it for
YDS registry.

Thanks.